Morning Brief: Venezuelan court says delay of Chavez's inauguration legal

From Foreign Policy Thu Jan 10 2013, 08:52:44

Venezuelan court says delay of Chavez's inauguration legal

Top news: The Supreme Court of Venezuela ruled Wednesday that the postponement of President Hugo Chavez's inauguration is legal and that the president and vice president can remain in office. Chavez, who has been in Cuba receiving medical treatment for nearly a month, was unable to return for his Jan. 10 inauguration ceremony. The ruling represents a major blow to the opposition, which had called for National Assembly leader Diosdado Cabello to take over as caretaker president and for new elections to be held within 30 days. Chavez has said that Vice President Nicolas Maduro should be his successor.

The Obama administration, meanwhile, has made an effort to open backchannel communications with Caracas in order to plan for a future without Chavez. "Regardless of what happens politically in Venezuela, if the Venezuelan government and if the Venezuelan people want to move forward with us, we think there is a path that's possible," said State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland. "It is just going to take two to tango."

Syria: Syrian authorities freed more than 2,100 prisoners Wednesday in exchange for the release of 48 Iranians who had been in rebel captivity since August. The swap was [view whole blog post ]

 See More    |     Report Abuse


You might also be interested in the following news stories:

Egypte:   Entretien téléphonique Al-Sissi-Obama (news)
Egypt State Information Service
19 December 2014

Le président Abdel Fattah Al-Sissi a reçu, jeudi, un appel téléphonique de son homologue américain, Barack Obama. [read more]

Egypt:   Surge of Military Trials (press release)
Human Rights Watch
18 December 2014

Egyptian authorities have referred hundreds of civilians to military courts based on an October 2014 decree by President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. [read more]

Egypt:   Death Toll of Red Sea Sunken Boat Rises to 25 - Health Ministry (news)
Aswat Masriya
19 December 2014

The death toll of the Red Sea sunken boat has risen to 25, and the number of injured has reached 18, the health ministry announced on Friday. [read more]



blogAfrica is allAfrica.com's platform to help you keep an ear on the African blogosphere. We draw diverse voices from around the world who post regularly and insightfully about African issues. Bloggers, submit your blog's rss-feed!